Welcome to my Kindermusik space...

A place to refresh your love of music, your wonder in children, and your peace in parenting well.



Sunday, August 29

The Rhythm of Life



I know it has been way too long since my last post...but there is a reason. We had a family vacation planned. So for the last couple of weeks I have been enjoying the laid back "Aloha" spirit in Kaua'i and Maui.

Those of you who have been know, like I do now, that Hawaii has a different feel to it than other places. People aren't in a hurry. They are pleasant, and polite, and accommodating. The trade winds blow ever so wonderfully, and the surf rolls onto the beach in a consistent rhythm. It was a GREAT holiday!

As I was lying down one evening watching the local tourist channel about places to go and restaurants to eat in, I found myself falling asleep listening to the gentle Hawaiian music that accompanied the info. The music had been everywhere we had been, in the background, but definitely adding to the relaxed feel of the islands.

So what does all this have to do with music classes? It struck me the other day that it was much like a Kindermusik class in that when you are there, you get to enjoy the great energy and activity - both lively in some sections, and relaxing in others. But your children are making associations with the activity and the music they hear. When they hear the quiet rocking music we hear when snuggling with the "stuffies", their minds can remember the relaxation their bodies and minds felt in class,when later driving in the van, or in the comforts of home. Or they will recall the feeling of connectedness of the community dances we do. It is no coincidence that your child asks to hear the Kindermusik CD's again and again, as they are taken away to a very happy memory when hearing it.

In fact, I think I'd like to listen to some Hawiian music right now...
And follow that up with looking at the pictures we took of the enchanting Kaua'i chickens who wandered around everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment