Welcome to my Kindermusik space...

A place to refresh your love of music, your wonder in children, and your peace in parenting well.



Sunday, May 8

Mother/daughter moments

There are some moments in a mother's life that are special.
Buying your baby's first outfit.
Hearing your baby say "Mama" for the first time.
Watching your child go to their first unparented class.
Your baby's first pair of shoes...

Of course, we all have a list a mile long, with a few variations along the way for individual family preferences.  But yesterday I had another one of my moments.

I have always been a "girly" girl.  If I could, I would wear a dress just about everyday of my life.  I love make-up and perfume and getting my hair and nails done.  So when my girl turned out to a "girly girl" too, it has been a LOT of fun for us.  From the time Olivia was very young, we would do our nails, wear dresses, and do "girly" stuff.  One of our favourite things to do was to check out the perfume counters at The Bay everytime we were at Southgate, usually coming home with a sample or two.

My niece is getting married next weekend and we were looking at what we had to wear and Olivia wanted to get some new shoes.  And...she wanted some shoes with high heels.  I haven't been opposed to her wearing higher heels, but she's always chosen flats or low heels.  As we looked at the various shoe stores I was admiring my now-taller-than-me daughter trying on the "big girl shoes".  My 5' 5" daughter was now more like 5' 9" and looking about two years older.  Although the salesgirl was trying to talk us into the much more expensive Michael Kors brand, we opted for the more modestly priced (and in my opinion, better looking) shoes.  Yes, mothers, your children will also, in all likelihood, develop an affection for all things name brand - but that's another story : )

As she brought those shoes home and tried them on with several outfits at home, I was thinking about how she had just seen me do the same thing that morning - trying on my new dress for the wedding with the various shoes I have at home.  Like mother, like daughter.

Finding things to celebrate about your similarities with your child is a wonderful thing.  Maybe you don't share the same fashion sense, but maybe you both love the outdoors.  Maybe you both love to cook together.  Maybe you both love hockey.  This Mother's Day, enjoy the beauty that is your relationship with your child.

Evidence of one of our "girly" days!

No comments:

Post a Comment