Welcome to my Kindermusik space...

A place to refresh your love of music, your wonder in children, and your peace in parenting well.



Friday, October 29

My Favourite Thing

Just mentioning the words "The Sound of Music" brings a smile to so many faces. I sat down last night to watch the Oprah special of the reunion of the original cast and was just enjoying a great hour of memories. Like many of you, I'm sure I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've watched that show!

Today as I was talking about it with friends, we smiled as we agreed with Oprah's comment about how we've all imagined ourselves spinning in the open fields of Austria as Julie Andrews does in the opening scenes...

"The hills are alive - with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years..."

Funny but I could sit here and type out all the words without even checking a score, I've sung them so many times. Even now a big smile is on my face as I mentally think through the words and imagine the movie scenes.

I think I was about 6 when I saw it in the movie theatre with my mom for the first time. I watched it as a teenager on TV, sang the songs in music festivals, watched it every Christmas for years, and have watched it with my children all snuggled up in our pyjamas on the couch.

And there are so many favourite scenes (Maria singing "I have confidence", the stormy "Favorite things" dance, the scene in the gazebo with Maria and the Captain where they have just gotten engaged and she sings "somewhere in my youth or childhood - I must have done something good..." and they kiss. Aaahhh. So lovely.) Watching that movie just wants a person to have a musical family, true?

I am openly sentimental about this show. Guilty. But what surprised me last night is that as I was watching it, all three of my kids stopped and watched it, too. Musical memories...they are long lasting. And when they are formed with the sweet spot of family connection, they remain a golden moment of joy for a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment